When four years ago Wikileaks published 250,000 US state department cables dating back to the 1960s, a believer in ET visitations asked why, in the great mass of data, there was not one major UFO secret.

NSA whistle-blower Edward Snowden (credit: The Guardian)

NSA whistle-blower Edward Snowden (credit: The Guardian)

Soon afterwards, during a live Q&A, Wikileaks supremo Julian Assange explained that ‘many weirdoes email us about UFOs’ but none of the stories they supply satisfied their twin publishing criteria, which was: ‘that the documents not be self-authored; that they be original’.

Now former NSA contractor Edward Snowden has upped the ante with a massive leak of two million top secret documents. Snowden’s leak to The Guardian and New York Times has been described by Daniel Ellsberg of Pentagon Papers fame as ‘the most significant leak’ of classified material in US history.

Yet Snowden’s revelations have failed to produce the ‘smoking gun’ that would prove the alien presence on Earth, the real ultimate secret if you buy into the UFO myth.

Even if you don’t it cannot be denied that if such knowledge really existed it should merit at least a tiny reference in the files of the world’s most powerful intelligence agency.

The revelation that flying saucers have landed and governments are in contact with alien intelligences would make the ongoing debates about mass surveillance and the balance between national security and information privacy seem like an afterthought.

So far not a single authentic piece of paper, memo or PowerPoint has emerged from either Wikileaks or Snowden-gate to support this widely held modern myth.

The UFO industry has struggled to explain this odd omission and its corporate arm, the so-called ‘exopolitics’ movement led by the Paradigm Research Group, has continued on its merry way organising mock congressional hearings as if nothing in the world had changed.

Then, early in the new year someone decided it was time to stitch the breaking Snowden story together with the UFO conspiracy rumours. Snowden fled to Russia in June 2013 and has been granted temporary asylum.

In January what the Washington Post describes as ‘an ultra-fringe conspiracy website’, www.whatdoesitmean.com published a story based upon what it claimed was a FSB dossier summarising NSA secrets handed over to the Russian security service by Snowden.

The author of this piece, one ‘Sorcha Faal’, claimed its contents provided ‘incontrovertible proof’ that ‘an alien/extra-terrestrial intelligence agenda’ is driving US foreign policy. The dossier said the US government has been secretly run by a ‘shadow government’ of extra-terrestrials since the Second World War.

No good UFO story is complete without a Nazi element so the hoax included the ‘fact’ that Hitler built up his U-boat fleet ‘with alien assistance’, updating the familiar ancient astronauts meme to WW2. According to the story, after backing the wrong side in WW2 the aliens are now holed up at Area 51 with President Obama as their willing dupe and are plotting to use the omnipresent NSA to take over the world.

Hoax documents have always been a favourite trope in UFOlogy and the fake MJ12 papers, offered as proof of the Roswell incident during the ‘80s, provide a useful template. Further evidence? Sorcha Faal is so obviously a made-up name and whatdoesitmean is a notorious source of fake stories.

Only the gullible or credulous were likely to pay any attention to nonsense published on ‘an ultra-fringe conspiracy website’. But some have grounds to suspect it is run by someone spreading disinformation on behalf of one or more intelligence agencies. It is equally possible that ‘Faal’ is simply having fun by publishing nonsense that he or she knows will be swallowed by those want to believe it.

If there is any truth in the disinformation theory, on this occasion the spooks scored a direct hit. Soon after its appearance ‘the semi-official Iranian news agency’, FARS, swallowed the hoax whole. On 12 January Fars published a breathless regurgitation of the FSB story, faithfully referenced to its source: whatdoesitmean.com.

How the Iranian news-agency broke the Nazi/aliens story

How the Iranian news-agency broke the Nazi/aliens story

They also repeated Faal’s claim that the contents of the Russian dossier had been confirmed by the former Canadian defence minister, Paul Hellyer, during a live interview on Russian TV on 30 December 2013. The 90-year-old, FARS claimed, had been consulted by the FSB during his Russian trip on the accuracy of the alien story.

Hellyer’s faith in aliens includes his claim that ‘at least four species of aliens’ have been visiting Earth for thousands of years. These include ‘Nordic blondes’ and Tall Whites that live on earth ‘and are working with the United States government’.

So far so weird. Hellyer can’t provide any proof, but neither could Lord Hill Norton or any of the other cranky ‘top people’ who have swallowed the wilder products of the UFO industry whole in their dotage.

But in this case Hellyer, by talking about ‘Tall Whites’ and aliens secretly running the US government since the ’50s, played right into the hands of the person or persons responsible for concocting the Nazi alien hoax.

Both Hellyer and Disclosure spokesman Stephen Bassett have since published disclaimers, blaming what they believe is a CIA plot to smear them. In this case they may be right.  The spooks have form in using belief in UFOs and other fringe phenomena to discredit politicians and other targets. In 2001, the renegade SIS officer Richard Tomlinson claimed that during the run-up to the 1992 elections for the UN Secretary General, the CIA ran a smear campaign against the Egyptian candidate, Boutros Boutros Ghali, who they claimed ‘was a believer in the existence of UFOs and extra-terrestrial life’ (The Independent, 1 June 2001).

The smear was allegedly run by planting false stories in the media, much as Sorcha Faal tries to do.This operation failed as Boutros-Ghali was elected. But in the Fars case it seems to me that Hellyer and the UFO believers were roped in as cannon-fodder.

The real target is Snowden himself and the intention is to portray him as unbalanced and a traitor who passes secrets to the Russians . According to Luke Harding’s 2014 book The Snowden Files his haul of NSA documents is protected by several layers of sophisticated encryption and has not fallen into the hands of his hosts.

I have to agree with Max Fisher of the Washington Post, who described this hall of mirrors as ‘highly entertaining’. And until new information emerges I await a convincing answer to the question I posed in 2010: ‘where are the UFO whistle-blowers?’ Sorry, Paul Hellyer doesn’t count.

About these ads
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to ‘I have some stuff you might be interested in…’: Edward Snowden and the ultimate secret

1. Peter Rogerson says:

Hi David Paul Helleyer has been, how shall we say, “eccentric” for years before getting involved with UFOs. He was a member of, an ran for the leadership of, both the Liberal Party and the old Progressive Conservative Party, formed two of his own; Action Canada and Canadian Action Party, and tried to join the third New Democratic Party (ie Labour). His politics have ranged from the Thatcherite right to the anti-globalisation left, and has always had a touch of Social Credit. He now seems to be the perfect symbol of fusion paranoia.

2. TheMistaron says:

Hi David! Have to agree with you on this one.
    To be quite honest, I did buy into the whole UFO saga and spent endless hours watching and re-watching UFO related videos. I couldn’t wait to read the latest articles on offer and used to think that sceptics were largely making a living as debunkers.
    Then one day, not so long ago, I took a step back and decided to review what was being presented from a skeptical point of view.
    I suppose it was the plethora of militarily related witness accounts and the reports of crashed or landed vehicles that got me to wondering if perhaps we were all being double-bluffed.
    You see, I have no doubt that people have, and still are, seeing and capturing extraordinary and enigmatic craft. I also believe that there have been retrievals that have involved ultra-security and disinformation.
    However, by combing back through much of the UFO timeline, it now seems obvious to me that what we have been observing are ours.
    I think that there has been a natural evolutionary progression in observable design and performance of these craft since the 1930’s/40’s, which I find very odd. Furthermore, it is now my belief that blankets of “evidence”, and deliberately weak official denial, have been designed to create a psychological, mass normalisation of, at least, the plausibility of belief in “aliens”. Doesn’t everyone take official-speak with a pinch of salt, especially with our propensity for believing, at least a little, in folk-lore?
    How else could the secrets behind the propulsion and stealth capabilities of man-made technology and massively, overt testing missions, be hidden in plain sight and not give the game away.
    My hypothesis is that Roswell did happen. It was ours; possibly a failed test flight gone wrong. I think that other verifiable landings/crashes were also ours.
    Why?
    The fact that there are immensely powerful actors involved in every aspect of the global financial and industrial system, brings me to believe that the path to abundant and clean energy has long-since, been found and harnessed. This is the world’s most guarded secret and one not to be shared, for if it were, these manipulators would lose their power and their monopolies over the whole world. It could not be allowed to happen.
    They have already plotted for tomorrow but I fear the common man may be in for a very tough future.
    This is just my informed take on what’s going on, but as previously stated, if I can be disproved with a satisfactory alternative and an explanation of what is evidently in our skies, I could alter or change my conclusions.

3. Marc Skyler says:

This is a spurious argument. How can you pretend to be wise in the ways of the world and yet ignore the reality that it would be suicide for snowden to leak any fringe document. I can assure you even if he had a dozens of files regarding the following topics…UFO’s, CIA helping to set up crack in LA, Extreme global warming studies, JFK assassination data, etc etc. he would never be so stupid to release them. Anything fringe would be carte blanche to dismiss everything important he was doing. You even point out the only smearing going on is towards Snowden but then you expect him to give ammunition that he is a crazy conspiracy idiot and his releases are full of false data?.

I agree whole heartedly about basset and helboy and I am not even saying there IS a conspiracy or that Snowden has any ufo files…just that the initial premise of this article is disturbingly naïve.

Also, for the record, if you want to spread the proper perspective about Hellyer, please just do the research and inform people that in a parliamentary system, the defense minister post during a time of very deep peacetime is only slightly more prestigious than being appointed head dogcatcher. Especially in Canada, And no offence, but attempting to make Hellyer and Lord Hill Norton comparable men is sloppy at best and a disrespectful piece of manipulation at the worst.

4. Skip Piper says:

After reading the article I’ve concluded that stories with infinite life spans are the death of Adolph Hitler, the NAZI Party and proof of extraterrestrials and their flying machines. With due respect to the author of the article I wonder if I should be concerned about my sanity having “clearly” observed a whatever it was and should I be concerned about the vast numbers of others who have claimed to observe whatever they are. It may be that we are all going nuts. Most amusing is the fact that our government has not issued a firm positive or negative statement on the subject leaving all to wildly speculate which in the end could be costly. Imagine an official alarm that “we are being attacked” with an overall response of “so what”.

5. MVW says:

Not sure why you would expect there to be mention of aliens within the programs Snowden was involved in.

6. MVW says:

With regards to whistleblowers, for one thing I wouldn’t expect there to be nearly as many people involved in programs involving aliens as there are in programs relating to surveillance and foreign policy.
    Not saying that all this stuff about aliens is true. I’m only saying that your question isn’t as hard hitting as you might think

• You ask ‘why [I] would expect there to be mention of aliens’ within the programs Snowden was involved in.
      At the time I wrote this blog-entry there was no evidence, so you might have a point.
      But since writing it Greenwald has released a GCHQ slide show that *does* make reference to UFOs (and by implication, belief in aliens),
      see:

But not evidence of aliens, evidence of manipulation of the UFO myth for intelligence purposes.

7. I’ve seen plenty of very strange phenomena as I enjoy camping and star gazing. But I’ve never seen anything to suggest they are spacemen from another planet.Something very strange is going on and I’ll swear to it and be in no peril at all, but I will not jump to unsubstantiated conclusions. Keep an open mind tempered with integrity and conscience people.The things I’ve seen are not everyday events trust me, and it is as dishonest to say you know it is all bunk as it is for me to say I know definitely what they are. Get out and look up. It won’t take too long to surprise yourself and accustom the palate to humble pie.

8. No intelligence myth in what I’ve seen, on my oath, but it could very well be holographic and/or high technology from earth the public is not a party to.

9. JJ says:

Back in the very early 70s, when I was just a kid of about 8-years old, I was outside playing on a very warm summer night with a bunch of neighbourhood kids ranging from my age, right up to 16-year olds. It was about 10:00pm and we were getting geared up to play a game of hide-n-seek. I was out this late because my parents were out and my brother was ‘babysitting’ me and playing, too.
    As we stood around in a circle, determining who was going to be ‘it’….”Bubble gum, bubble gum in a dish, how many pieces do you wish…”, I looked up and just above the rooftop of the neighbourhood houses, was something I will never forget. We all just stopped and stared in awe.

What we saw was a huge, disc-shaped ‘thing’, which was entirely lit up in a fluorescent orange colour….it just….glowed. You could not see any light bulbs or determine specifically where the light source came from. It just glowed like a hot coal. As it hovered above the roof, there was absolutely NO sound emanating from it. None. It hovered for about thirty seconds before it very slowly ascended a few feet upwards and then slowly….glided, I guess you could say….to the left. A few of us ran after it, to see where it would go, but then it shot away with such speed we were dumbfounded. Contrary to what people might think, not one of us was fearful of this thing.

The entire time this ‘thing’ hung in the sky, there was never any noise emanating from it. I was standing in the driveway of the house it hovered over, so I got a pretty good look at it. I’ve never seen anything like it to this day concerning any weaponry or aircraft ANY government claims to possess, nor have I ever seen anything like it in the skies. It does, however, look very similar to SOME video I have seen purported to be that of UFOs.

I share my experience here not because it matters if strangers believe me or not, but to add to the list of everyday, sane people who have seen something amazing that many people refuse to acknowledge.. …and that is going back to the 70s! I really don’t believe that any government was capable of the obvious advanced aeronautical technology I witnessed that night and I have yet to hear any government provide a reasonable explanation of what it was that I saw. No one will ever convince me that what I saw was not the definition of a UFO.